It is estimated that approximately 70%1 of batteries sold in Australia each year are of the single-use variety. The rechargeable alternative has been around for a long time, but a majority of Australians still opt for the single-use variant.
The result of this preference is approximately 14,000 tons1 of batteries disposed into landfill each year, where toxic contents such as lead, cadmium and mercury can leach into the environment potentially poisoning animals while also contaminating soil and waterways.
We have a goal to reduce the amount of batteries heading to landfill by highlighting the benefits eneloop Rechargeable Batteries have over traditional single-use dry cell batteries.
Here are 5 reasons you should make 2020 the year you stopped buying single-use batteries:
- Eneloop batteries can be recharged over and over again. One eneloop battery can potentially prevent 600+2 single-use batteries from being disposed of in landfill. Good for your wallet, and for the environment.
- Eneloop Rechargeable Batteries come pre-charged straight from the pack, just like single-use batteries. This means they are ready-to-use immediately. No initial charging required.
- Eneloop Rechargeable Batteries are pre-charged by solar generated power3 to create a “Clean Energy Loop.”
- Eneloop Rechargeable Batteries are perfect for high and low-drain devices. Their 2000mAh capacity (AA size) deliver lasting power to a range of common devices including digital cameras, game controllers, toys and remote controls.
- Eneloop Rechargeable Batteries have an extremely low self-discharge rate. They are capable of retaining 70% of their power after 10 years in storage4, making them perfect as emergency batteries for things like torches and other occasional use items.
Help us spread the good word and consider sharing this page with your friends and family on social media.
2 IEC 61951-2 2017(188.8.131.52) Cycle times vary according to conditions of use.
3 As part of our participation in the Green Certificate System, we use solar power to charge eneloop Batteries prior to sale.
4 Capacity retention based on testing method established by IEC61951-2(7.3.2) when stored at 20°C.